We found this awesome article on Buzzfeed.com and thought we’d share it with you, enjoy!
1. Pit bulls are stereotyped as a vicious, untrustworthy breed.
2. Anyone looking at this face can tell that beneath it lies nothing but love.
3. No one deserves to be judged for their stereotype.
4. Come on, look at that smile.
5. Unfortunately, their strength and insensitivity to pain leads to being exploited by humans and made to fight.
There is also a rumor that pit bulls have “locking jaws” that make them a fearsome breed. While these dogs do have a strong jaw, their jaws do not physiologically lock. This is a behavioral trait specific to the dog itself, NOT the breed as a whole.
6. …which is heartbreaking once you realize violence is not in their nature but merely a trait taught to them.
7. Because pit bulls have been bred to be “fighting dogs,” they may require a little extra socialization and TLC during puppyhood.
The ASPCA asserts, “The best way to prevent the development of aggressive behavior toward other dogs is to focus on early socialization… Despite the fact that pit bulls were bred to fight with each other, early breeders took pride in producing dogs that were trustworthy and friendly to people.”
8. Remember: “There are no bad breeds, just bad (or uninformed) owners.”
9. The breed is often regarded as loyal.
10. Let’s stop and talk about this hero who took a bullet for his owner.
Don’t worry! He survived.
11. They also love to cuddle.
12. And smile!
13. They have some of the best smiles in the world.
14. The AKC confirms the breed’s propensity toward “courage and intelligence.”
15. Rumor has it, they give some pretty grand hugs.
16. And love and respect their mothers as every child should.
17. Did we stop and talk about their smiles yet?
18. This pit bull with his best friends — cat and many chicks — should make you second guess the pit bull’s supposed “inherent volatile nature.”
19. Pit bulls are eager to please their humans.
20. Some are very polite.
21. Some are cooler than you’ll ever be…
22. …way cooler.
23. But they’ll hang out with you just the same.
24. Many adoring pit bull owners assert that their dogs have a great sense of humor.
25. They are certainly not afraid of being derp-tastic.
26. Hey, remember when this happened?
Yes, this is real life, and yes, he is a pit bull.
27. Here’s one showing off her preferred method of fighting.
28. One of many examples of pit bulls taking part in interspecies friendship.
29. They’re actually extremely patient.
30. Which makes them great family dogs.
The AKC sites the breed standard as having “affection for its friends, and children in particular…off-duty quietness and trustworthy stability.” More than that, the ASPCAspeaks to their roots as family dogs, given the nickname “nurse’s maid” because of their sweetness with children.